1. General information
For German nationals and nationals of France, Italy, Spain, Great Britain, Russia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Belarus a visa is not required if their length of stay is no longer than fifteen (15) days, including the arrival and departure days. Upon entry, the passport must be valid for at least six (06) months and an onward or return ticket must be presented for inspection.
In addition, visa-free entry shall apply to foreign nationals (i) whose state and Viet Nam have signed mutual visa exemption agreement (the current list can be found here); (ii) who hold a valid permanent or temporary residence permit; or (iii) who only enter a border economic zone for a maximum of five days, or a special administrative economic zone or a certain coastal economic zone such as Phu Quoc for a maximum of 30 days.
Those who do not fall in the above categories are still required to have a valid visa to enter Viet Nam.
Accompanying minors who have their own passport also need a valid visa, unless they are entered in the passport of a parent who holds a valid visa to enter Viet Nam. Entry is not permitted for minors under the age of 14 who are not accompanied by their legal guardians or the legally authorized persons.
The Embassy of Viet Nam in Germany is authorized to issue visas to all foreign passport-holders, regardless of their nationality and residence.
It is advisable that travellers obtain standard visas from the Embassy before visiting Viet Nam. The Embassy does not issue visa-on-arrival or e-visa.
Visa-on-arrival is only issued in urgent or special situations. A letter of approval issued by the Viet Nam Immigration Department is obligatory to obtain visa-on-arrival at all international airports in Viet Nam. The travellers may risk disclosing their identities since such a letter may include personal details of other travellers whether they travel together or not. There are numerous websites which provide “visa-on-arrival” on the Internet. Such websites are fraudulent and does not have any connection with the Embassy.
The Embassy cannot either verify the validity of a visa-on-arrival or an e-visa nor provide any assistance to travellers who are refused entry when holding such type of visa.
The updated travel advice from the Federal Foreign Office (entry requirements for German nationals) can be found here.
The issuance of a visa for purposes other than tourism requires an approval letter from the Viet Nam Immigration Department. Without this approval, the Embassy can only issue tourist visa.
In principle, the visa type can not be changed once you entered Viet Nam. This alteration is only possible once the visa holder has left the country. However, the visa holder can apply for an extension at the Viet Nam Immigration Department.
For a tourist visa, paper documents must be submitted in parallel with electronic documents. Electronic documents are not necessary if an approval letter is available. Multiple applications can be sent in one envelope and returned in one envelope at the applicants´ request. The visa fee can be paid together or separately.
- Original passport, children’s passport or temporary passport that is still valid for at least 01 month following departure from Viet Nam;
- 01 copy of the approval letter, if applicable;
- Visa fee (*) in cash or Verrechnungscheck (recipient: Embassy of the S.R. Viet Nam, Elsenstraße 3, 12435 Berlin) with the signature of the account holder;
- 01 addressed and prepaid return envelope, preferably by courier service (DHL Express) or at least by registered mail (postage 3.95 euros), if return-via-post is requested.
(*) Visa fee varies according to the type of visa and length of stay. For the visa fee and further questions, please contact the Consular Section by telephone at (030) 53630 102 or (030) 53630 108 or email to: visaberlin2011@ yahoo.com
If you want to pay by cash, it is highly recommended that you use DHL Express. We do not hold any responsibility regarding loss of money via post.
Electronic documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- 01 list of applicants (Form);
- 01 file for each applicant (file name is the applicant’s name) including:
+ Clear photocopy or scan of the fully completed application form with a passport photo;
+ Clear photocopy or scan of the ID page of the passport;
+ Viet Nam itinerary (Form);
+ Round trip or return flight ticket (or at least flight reservation);
+ Travel health insurance with coverage of at least USD 10,000, including corona treatment (to be presented upon visa pick-up at the latest).
- For tourist visas, a stay of 30 days can be obtained, which can be extended to a maximum of 90 days in Viet Nam upon application.
- The required travel health insurance, including corona treatment, is also to be offered by Vietnamese travel agencies.
- Without electronic documents, the application for tourist visas cannot be processed.
- For a loose-leaf visa, the original passport is not required, but 01 additional recent biometric passport photo measuring 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm or 04 cm x 06 cm is required.
- The processing time is about 01 week. It is therefore recommended to apply for a visa at the Embassy as early as possible and no later than 2 weeks before departure.
3. Opening hours:
The Embassy opens on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Morning: 9:00 to 12:30.
- Application submission: 9:00 to 12:30.
- Visa pick-up: 11:00 to 12:30.
Afternoon: 14:00 to 17:00.
- Application submission: 14:00 to 17:00.
- Visa pick-up: 15:00 to 17:00.
Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam
Tel .: +49 30 53630 102
+49 30 53630 108
Fax .: +49 30 53630 200
5. Tourist Visa
Tourist visa can be issued for up to thirty days for single entry and multiple entry.
If you have an Approval Number or entry permit from competent Vietnamese authorities, please submit a copy of this approval with your visa application. The approval submitted by the applicant, if any, is only a reference. The actual approval has to be sent from the Vietnamese competent authority to the Embassy. For details, please contact the Consular Section.
6. Visa for other purposes
Visas can be applied for 27 different purposes. Workers’ visa can be up to 02 years, while investors’ visa can be up to 05 years in length. For the application of such visas the Approval/Entry permit from competent authorities in Viet Nam is absolutely necessary.
How to obtain an Approval Number/Entry permit
The applicant should contact their sponsor in Viet Nam (host organization, partner, inviter). The sponsor is responsible for obtaining an Approval Number/Entry permit from the competent authority in Viet Nam. The Embassy will be informed once the approval is granted. The applicant should submit a copy of this approval (forwarded by their sponsor by mail or fax) together with their visa application to the Embassy./.