1. General information
The nationals of the following countries do not need visa to enter Vietnam:
Maximum duration of stay (the arrival and departure days are included)
|From 01.07.2017 – 30.06.2018:
Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the UK
|Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Russia and Belarus||
|Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei, Laos and Cambodia||
The following conditions must be met:
- The passport is valid for at least six (06) months;
- Two consecutive visa-free entries must be at least thirty (30) days apart (e.g. If you enter Vietnam on 01 July 2016, you are entitled to stay until 15 July 2016 without a visa. You can only re-enter Vietnam without a visa as of 30 July 2016). This rule does not apply to those who enter Vietnam with a valid visa.
Those who do not fall in the above categories are still required to have a valid visa to enter Vietnam.
Valid visa is required for foreign passport holders (and accompanying children who have their own passport) to enter Vietnam. Children accompanied in their parents’ passport do not need a separate visa.
The Embassy of Vietnam in Germany is authorized to issue visas to all foreign passport-holders, regardless of their nationality and residence.
As of 01.01.2015, travellers with purposes other than tourism (eg. business, workshop, conference, study etc.) should contact your sponsor in Vietnam (host organization/partner/inviter) to obtain an approval letter from the Vietnam Immigration Department. Without this approval, the Embassy can only issue tourist visa.
Vietnamese law specifies 20 types of visas corresponding to specific purposes of visit. The visa type can not be changed once you entered Vietnam (for example, from tourist to business). This alteration is only possible once the visa holder has left the country. However, the holder can apply for an extension at the Vietnam Immigration Department.
It is advisable that travellers obtain standard visas from the Embassy before visiting Vietnam. The Embassy does not recommend and does not provide visa-on-arrival or online visa.
Visa-on-arrival is only issued in urgent or special situations. A letter of approval issued by the Vietnam Immigration Department is obligatory to obtain visa-on-arrival at all international airports in Vietnam. The travellers may risk disclosing their identities since such a letter may include personal details of other travellers whether they travel together or not. There are numerous websites which provide “visa-on-arrival” on the Internet. Such websites are fraudulent and does not have any connection with the Embassy.
The Embassy cannot either verify the validity of such visas nor provide any assistance to travellers who are refused entry when holding such type of visa. Given these high risks associated with visa-on-arrival, normal travellers are not encouraged to apply for this type of visa.
The updated travel advice from the Federal Foreign Office (entry requirements for German nationals) can be found here.
(i) Applications can be submitted in person or by post. Multiple applications can be sent in one envelope and returned in one envelope if the applicants wish to do so. The visa fee can be paid together or separately.
(ii) The following documents must be submitted:
- Original passport, child passport or temporary passport (the passport must be at least 01 month valid when the traveller leaves Viet Nam).
If due to some unavoidable situation you cannot submit your original passport, please contact the Consular Section.
- 01 completed application form (both the online and offline form are accepted).
- 01 recent passport photo size 3.5cm x 4.5cm or 04 cm x 06 cm. You can either glue a printed photo to the form or upload a digital one to the online form before printing out.
- Visa fee (*) in cash or Verrechnungsscheck with the signature of the account holder. The recipient should be: The Embassy of the SR Vietnam, Elsenstraße 3, 12435 Berlin).
- A stamped (3.60 €) and self-addressed envelope for ENSCHREIBEN or DHL Express (10.90 €) if sending by post.
(*) For the visa fee and further questions, please contact the Consular Section at 030 53630 102 or 030 53630 108.
If you want to pay by cash, it is highly recommended that you use DHL Express Easy and send it the beginning of the week (Monday to Wednesday). We do not hold any responsibility in dealing with loss of money via ENSCHREIBEN.
(iii) The normal visa processing time is 01 week. Therefore, it is recommended to apply for visa at the Embassy as early as possible and no later than 02 weeks prior to departure. In urgent cases, you can apply for Express Visa whereby the visa will be issued on the same day that we receive your application.
Please write “EXPRESS” in red block letters on both the envelope and the form and send the Express fee with the application. You should also enclose a prepaid envelope by DHL Express for faster return.
3. Opening hours:
The Consular Section opens on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Morning: 9:00 to 12:30.
- Application submission: 9:00 to 12:30.
- Visa pick-up: 11:00 to 12:30.
Afternoon: 2:00 p.m. to 17:00.
- Application submission: 14:00 to 17:00.
- Visa pick-up: 15:00 to 17:00.
Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
Tel .: +49 30 53630 102
+49 30 53630 108
Fax .: +49 30 53630 200
5. Tourist Visa
Tourist visa can be issued for up to 03 months for single entry and for up to 01 month for multiple entry.
If you have an Approval Number or entry permit from competent Vietnamese authorities, please submit a copy of this approval with your visa application. The approval submitted by the applicant is only a reference. The actual approval has to be sent from the Vietnamese competent authority to the Embassy. For details, please contact the Consular Section.
6. Visa for other purposes
Visas can be applied for 20 different purposes. Worker’s visa can be up to 02 years, while investors’ visa can be up to 05 years, single or multiple entry.
In addition to the above documents, applicants must submit a copy of the Approval/Entry permit from competent authorities in Vietnam.
How to obtain an Approval Number/Entry permit
The applicant should contact their sponsor in Vietnam (host organization, partner, inviter). The sponsor is responsible for obtaining an Approval Number/Entry permit from the competent authority in Vietnam. The Embassy will be informed once the approval is granted. The applicant should submit a copy of this approval (forwarded by their sponsor by mail or fax) together with their visa application to the Embassy.
7. Visa Form
Offline Application Form
Electronic application form
- The online visa application form is currently a pilot program and can be accessed here. Once completed, the applicant should print out the application and send it together with other documents to the Embassy. This service is not online visa or electronic visa.
- All contributions are welcome for further improvement.
- Please make sure that you have access to a printer to print out the application in PDF format. In case your computer is not connected to a printer, you may download and save the file for later printing.
- The barcode should be printed fully and clearly – it contains all the information you have submitted and will help us process your request faster.
- This pilot program cannot provide information on the status of visa processing.
How to complete the online application form
Step 1: Select your desired language at the top-right corner of the screen.
Step 2: Click “Fill Form” to start the process.
Step 3: Enter your purpose of entry, place of application and place of pick-up (Viet Nam Embassy in Germany). Then upload your passport photo (optional). Click “Next”.
Step 4: Enter your personal details.
Step 5: Enter the information of your sponsor in Vietnam (optional).
Step 6: Print out the application. If you have not uploaded photo to the online form, please glue a passport photo to the printed application. Then, submit it together with other documents (see point 2) to the Embassy.