I. Visa Requirement
1. A visa is required to enter Vietnam unless it is exempted.
2. German nationals do not need a visa if:
- they will not stay in Vietnam for more than 15 days, including the arrival and departure days (a proof such as an onward or return ticket may be required at the border); and
- their passport is valid for at least six (06) months upon entry.
3. The visa-free stay of 15 days is recalculated with each entry, regardless of the last entry, which happened with or without a visa. A minimum period between the last exit and the visa-free entry is not required.
4. The regulations in points 2 and 3 also apply to nationals of France, Italy, Spain, Great Britain, Russia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Belarus.
5. In addition, a visa is not required:
- if the visa requirement is lifted according to mutual agreements; or
- if the foreigner holds a valid permanent or temporary residence permit of Vietnam; or
- if the foreigner only enters a border economic zone for a maximum of 15 days, or a special administrative and economic zone or a coastal economic zone such as Phu Quoc for a maximum of 30 days.
6. At the border control, the entry of a foreigner with or without a valid visa may be refused if there are reasons provided by Vietnamese law. Entry is not permitted for minors under the age of 14 who are not accompanied by their legal guardians or their legally authorized persons.
II. Visa Types
1. Standard visas are to be issued by a Vietnamese mission. The Embassy is responsible for issuing visas to all foreigners. For the purpose of tourism, standard visas are valid for 30 days.
2. Visas on arrival are only issued for emergencies at an airport in Vietnam by the Vietnam Immigration Department, when the foreigner has already received an entry permit (approval letter) from the Vietnam Immigration Department, but cannot collect a standard visa from a Vietnamese mission. Further information can be found in the travel and security advice of the Federal Foreign Office.
3. Electronic visas are a pilot program of the Government of Vietnam for nationals of certain countries who enter through certain checkpoints only once for a maximum of 30 days, which cannot be extended. The Immigration Department of Vietnam alone has the authority to issue electronic visas. The Embassy can neither verify its validity nor intervene if problems arise.
III. Application for standard visa
1. The application can be submitted to the Embassy in person or by post; online application is not possible.
If submitting in person, the application can be lodged during the opening hours of the consular section without an appointment and via a third party without a power of attorney.
If submitting by post, DHL Express with its original mailing bag or other courier service is recommended. One common envelope may be used for multiple applicants. The Embassy accepts no responsibility for loss in shipment.
- 01 fully completed application form (DEU, ENG) with a current, biometric passport photo;
- Original passport, children’s passport or temporary passport that is still valid for at least 01 month following the departure from Vietnam;
- 01 copy of the approval letter from Vietnam Immigration Department, if available;
- 01 addressed and prepaid return envelope (DHL Express or other courier recommended) if return via post is requested.
- Visa fee (*) in cash or Verrechnungscheck with the signature of the account holder (recipient: Embassy of the S.R. Vietnam, Elsenstraße 3, 12435 Berlin).
(*) The consular department is available at +49 30 53630 102/108 or email@example.com for inquiries about documents. During processing, the consular section may ask for additional documents.
3. The issuance of a visa for purposes other than tourism requires an approval letter from the Vietnam Immigration Department. An approval letter may also be required for non-European applicants for tourism purposes.
In order to obtain an approval letter, applicants need to find a family member or a legal entity in Vietnam who will undertake the invitation procedures at the Vietnam Immigration Department. For the purpose of tourism, a travel agency in Vietnam is considered inviter.
4. An approval letter alone and without other documents listed in point 2 is not sufficient for a visa. A copy of the approval letter provided by the applicant is only a reference. The visa issuance must be based on the approval letter sent directly to the embassy by the Vietnam Immigration Department.
5. The processing time is about 05 working days for a holder of an approval letter and about 10 working days for an application without an approval letter, once the full application reached the Embassy.
6. A visa holder may enter and remain in Vietnam in the period from the date of entry to the date of exit, which are directly printed in the visa. This means that he can enter later than the entry date but not leave the country later than the exit date written in the visa.
IV. Address and opening hours
Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
Phone: +49 30 53630 102
+49 30 53630 108
Fax.: +49 30 53630 200
2. Opening hours of the consular section
The consular section opens on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, except for public holidays.
Morning: 9:00 to 12:30.
- Application submission: 9.00 to 12.30.
- Visa pick-up: 11:00 to 12:30
Afternoon: 14:00 to 17:00
- Application submission: 14:00 to 17:00
Visa pick-up: 15:00 to 17:00